Re: Strange rpath problem

This one time, at band camp, Matt Zimmerman said:
> On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 03:44:42PM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
>
> > 6) W: kcdlabel: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath ./usr/bin/kcdlabel /usr/X11R6/lib
> > [...]
> > It's 6 that bothers me.  Is this some odd libtool oddity with X that can
> > be ignored, or is it something real that I should worry about?  I don't
> > remember seeing it when building previous versions, but lintian has
> > changed since then as well.
>
> Running lintian with the '-i' option, or filtering its output through
> lintian-info(1) will give more information about the message:

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  I did run originally run lintian
with -i, and saw the full explanation.  It was the use of the word
'usually' that led me to wonder if it was actually an 'always', if you
follow me.  That's why I was asking here.

What I guess I was trying to communicate was:
The build system is the KDE/autoconf/automake mess, and passing
--disable-rpath to ./configure is supposed to be preserved as it builds
Makefile.in and finally Makefile and so on.

Since it is not, I was wondering if others had seen this before.
Building previous versions of this program (albeit with different
versions of the various tools) did not produce this lintian warning.
In fact this prompted me to go back and look at the last built version:

steve@gashuffer:~$ objdump -x /usr/bin/kcdlabel | grep -i rpath
steve@gashuffer:~$

So, I didn't change anything, but suddenly I am getting an rpath built
in.  Odd.  Also, notice that X is the only rpath defined, even though
this program links against all the usual KDE stuff (which means about a
billion libraries used during builds).  This is what led me think it
might be an issue with X specifically.

Thanks, though,
|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |