How to handle config file that has changed names

A new version of a package that I maintain has changed the name of the
default configuration file. I want to propagate this name change, but
how do I handle it properly? AFAICT, I'm not allowed to touch conffiles
in the maintainer scripts, but this would mean that the old
configuration would just be replaced by the new one...

\\// Peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/

  I do not read or respond to mail with HTML attachments.