Is it better with fewer packages than a minimum of dependencies?

I'm writing a general monitoring system (free of course :-) and
right now I've ten generated packages from it.

The main reason for separating them is the dependency-list, they
are slightly different for each package. Also, I want to give
the user the ability to just install the most necessary.

However, some of them therefore contains only a couple of files.

Now, I've seen some discussion in debian-devel about too many packages.
So that's why I'm considering to join most packages,
keeping two or three packages instead.

What is the opinion about this, minimize the number of packages
or the number of dependencies?