Re: Using ${description}, and debian/substvars.

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 07:40:21PM +0300, Shaul Karl wrote:

>   I was able to get dpkg-gencontrol do what I need after the creation of
> a suitable debian/substvars file. However when using pdebuild to build
> the packages, I get:
>
>     dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${Description}
>     dpkg-gencontrol: internal error: field Description has blank lines >nut
>     stands for Network UPS Tools. This is the core system.
>
>      .
>      This package contains the core system.  In many cases it is sufficient
>      for
>      a basic UPS monitoring and control system.<
>     dh_gencontrol: command returned error code 6400
>     make: *** [binary-arch] Error 1
>     pbuilder: Failed autobuilding of package
>
>   I guess that the blank line is the result of not using
> debian/substvars. But issuing a manual dpkg-gencontrol command was
> successful. I didn't try to get every package that is made from the
> source package its own package.substvars file because that is
> pointless: I could expand the control file by myself.
>
>   Why dh_gencontrol fails while a manual invocation of dpkg-gencontrol
> succeeds? The invoked dpkg-gencontrol manually with
>
>     dpkg-gencontrol -ppackageName -O
>
> Should I file a bug against dh_gencontrol?
>
>   Here is my debian/substvars file:
>
>     Description=nut is a client/server uninterruptible power supply
>     (UPS) monitor and${Newline} control system.  It permits using one or
>     more UPSs between one or more${Newline} machines.  The nut most
>     important feature is for a server(s) to monitor${Newline} the UPS(s)
>     and notify the client(s) when a UPS is on battery or is
>     about${Newline} to shut off.  In addition, the client(s) can inquire
>     the UPSs for their${Newline} status.  Depending on the UPS(s) capabilities,
>     the client might be able${Newline} to control the UPS(s) behavior.
>     The NUT home page is at${Newline} http://www.exploits.org/nut.

  After experimentation, I modified debian/rules to have

    cat debian/substvars >> debian/nut.substvars
    cat debian/substvars >> debian/nut-cgi.substvars
    cat debian/substvars >> debian/nut-snmp.substvars

in between the dh_shlibdeps and the dh_gencontrol lines.

  Perhaps dh_gencontrol would be able to accept multiple -TsubstvarsFile
parameters?

--

    Shaul Karl,    shaulk @ actcom . net . il