Re: Managing Debian packages with Subversion

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 12:33:29AM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
> * Jamin W. Collins [Fri, Aug 29 2003, 03:13:44PM]:
>
> > What _stupidness_ are you refering to?  I've always just used something
> > like:
> >
> >    svn merge http://pkg/upstream/a.b http://pkg/upstream/current trunk
>
> Always? Nice to see that it can work with three arguments and apply the
> changes to the working direcotry. That is something _not_ documented in
> the book and is easy to be overseen in the --help message.

It is documented in the book, that's where I learned how to use it.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/html-chunk/ch06s04.html#svn-ch-6-sect-4.1

   svn merge http://svn.example.com/repos/vendor/libcomplex/1.0      \
             http://svn.example.com/repos/vendor/libcomplex/current  \
             libcomplex

> > Where http://pkg/upstream/current always contains the latest version of
> > the upstream source and http://pkg/upstream/a.b is a tag of it (svn cp)
> > at some time in the past.
> >
> > I maintain http://pkg/upstream/current with svn_load_dirs.
>
> Another example of bad documented crap, without useful help messages...
>
> svn_load_dirs file:///home/user/rep-svn/svn-testing/lilo-x lilo-22.2 lilo-22.5.7.2
> /usr/bin/svn_load_dirs: import_dir `lilo-22.2' is a directory.

The second command line option must be a path relative to the first in the
repository, not your working copy or a new directory of upstream
sources.  The third command line option is the first of the new upstream
source directories.  Again, documented fairly clearly in the book:

   svn_load_dirs.pl takes three mandatory arguments. The first argument
   is the URL to the base Subversion directory to work in. This argument
   is followed by the URL--relative the first argument--into which the
   current vendor drop will be imported. Finally, the third argument is
   the local directory to import.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar