Re: RFS: sn - Small NNTP server for leaf sites

Chris Niekel <chris@niekel.net> wrote:
> To add some information to my previous post (in the hope of attracting
> some more attention)
>
> On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 02:52:31PM +0200, Chris Niekel wrote:
>> The 'sn' package was orphaned, and I ITA'ed it. I'm not a DD yet, and
>> this is my first package, so I would like to receive some feedback on
>> it.
>
> It's available from:
>    deb http://niekel.net/debian ./
>    deb-src http://niekel.net/debian ./
>
> And also from:
>    deb http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main contrib non-free
>    deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main contrib non-free
>
>    (which is probably faster than my ADSL-line)
>
> Since these are just changes to the previous version, it would be nice
> if this was eventually uploaded, thus fixing a RC-bug, a minor bug, 5
> wishlist bugs, and acknowledging a NMU.

Nitpicking:
* dh_undocumented should not be used any more (actually it is a
  NOOP since debhelper 4.1.30 anyway):
| upgrading_checklist for policy 3.5.8.0
|        - It is no longer recommended to create symlinks from nonexistent
|        manual pages to undocumented(7). Missing manual pages for programs
|        are still a bug. [12.1]

Urgs:
------------------------------
-        echo -e ",s/RUNFROM=.*/RUNFROM=$RET/\nw" \
+
+        # when dash is /bin/sh, echo -e is the default and the option -e is
+        # printed, so remove the -e and turn -e behaviour on 'by default'
+        # for bash as well.
+        shopt -s xpg_echo 2>/dev/null || true
+        echo ",s/RUNFROM=.*/RUNFROM=$RET/\nw" \

I am rather fluent in sh, but need to look up "shopt -s xpg_echo". This
is tooo ugly. Just use
-        echo -e ",s/RUNFROM=.*/RUNFROM=$RET/\nw" \
+        printf ",s/RUNFROM=.*/RUNFROM=$RET/\nw\n" \
or grab the patch from the bts and use sed instead of ed (you'll need to
depend on sed >=3.95).

          cu andreas
PS: Personally I'd switch to Debhelper compatibility 4 instead of 1, too.
This would get rid of debian/conffiles.