Re: can't install from a local repository

Eric Winger <ewinger@keyww.com> writes:

> Probably a simple question. But I've created a local
> repository. Figured out how dput moved packages into the
> archive. Worked through atp-ftparchive and created a Packages.gz file,
> got sources-list to point at my archive correctly.
>

> But when I do a
> apt-get install spinelli (spinelli is my package)
>
> I get this message.
>

> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Package spinelli has no available version, but exists in the database.
> This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
> never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
> of sources.list
> E: Package spinelli has no installation candidate

That happens if you have a Sources.gz entry saing some source will
build the package but you don't have any deb for it or if something
depends on it and you don't have a deb for it. I think this also
happen sif the package is already installed but no longer available.

apt-get knows it should be there (or was there) but it currently has
no url for it.