Re: locale files

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 07:30:20AM +0200, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> > But presumably you _would_ have a problem with:
> > - the old library trying to look up a string which isn't there anymore in
> >   the new library
> > - the new library trying to look up a string which isn't there in the old
> >   library
>
> Of course the message catalog would contain the union of strings
> from both libraries, not its intersection.
>
> I'd think that'd be obvious...

Since these things are usually managed by automated tools which scan the
source code looking for translatable strings, it would be nontrivial to
ensure that nothing was ever deleted from the file.  Also, the new version
of the library would require a versioned dependency on the package
containing the message catalog.  I think it is much more straightforward to
version it.

--
 - mdz