Re: Build-Depends-Indep and packages with architecture all

Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de> wrote:

> Frank Küster wrote:
>> In the original package's control file, there is a line of
>> Build-Depends-Indep, but no Build-Depends. Does this make sense for a
>> source package that has no architecture dependent binary packages at
>> all? Why not just use Build-Depends here and use Build-Depends-Indep
>> only when a source package yields both kinds of binary packages?
>
> If you hadn't asked here, I'd be inclined to think that you're looking
> for something beyond "because that's what policy tells you to do" (in
> the section on debian/rules)...

Either I don't understand your sentence, or I have a problem reading the
policy. In

file:///usr/share/doc/debian-policy/policy.html/ch-miscellaneous.html#s-debianrules

I can find statements about the targets binary-arch and binary-indep and
the respective build-targets. But there's nothing about
Dependency-fields in the control file. Also in Chapter 7, "Declaring
relationships between packages", I cannot find an explanation (probably
because I didn't read thoroughly enough).

Bye, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie