Re: Build-Depends-Indep and packages with architecture all

Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org> schrieb:

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 04:54:42PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> for practice and because I want to use it, I am working on a package of
>> the CVS version of auctex, a LaTeX mode for Emacs. Since it's only an
>> Emacs-addon written in Lisp, it's of course architecture independent.
>>
>> In debian/rules of the "real" package from unstable, binary requires
>> binary-arch and binary-indep; the first does nothing and the second
>> builds the package.
>>
>> In the original package's control file, there is a line of
>> Build-Depends-Indep, but no Build-Depends. Does this make sense for a
>> source package that has no architecture dependent binary packages at
>> all? Why not just use Build-Depends here and use Build-Depends-Indep
>> only when a source package yields both kinds of binary packages?
>
> Because it is simpler to have two easily expressed rules ("Build-Depends
> must be satisfied for <X> targets", "Build-Depends-Indep must be
> satisfied for <Y> targets") than a complex set of exceptions
> ("Build-Depends must be satisfied for <X> on Arch: (!= all), or <Y> on
> Arch: all, unless Build-Depends-Indep is also set, in which case....")

That sounds sensible. However, I'm puzzled by the following statement in

file:///usr/share/doc/debian-policy/policy.html/ch-relationships.html#s7.6

,----
| Build-Depends, Build-Conflicts
|
| The Build-Depends and Build-Conflicts
| fields must be satisfied when any of the following targets is invoked:
| build, clean, binary, binary-arch, build-arch, build-indep and
| binary-indep.
`----

So if I put all the dependencies into Build-Depends for a package that
only generates a single package_version_all.deb, I get the same effect
as if I put only some (like debhelper) there and the rest into
Build-Depends-Indep. Or am I missing something?

> 6 extra characters in the control file is a small price to pay for sanity,
> especially because it allows some of us (namely, porters) to build *simple*
> tools that figure out dependancy trees, and which can prune some parts of
> them based on this information.

What concern do porters have with architecture-all-only-packages?

TIA, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie