Re: locale files

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 10:23:14PM -0400, Neil Roeth wrote:

> I maintain a package that provides a shared library, libosp3c102.  The files
> /usr/share/locale/{ja,fr,de,sv}/LC_MESSAGES/sp.mo are part of the package.
> However, they are also part of the package that provided the older version of
> the same shared library, libosp2.  When I try to install libosp3c102 on a
> system that has libosp2 installed, I get an error: "trying to overwrite
> `/usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/sp.mo', which is also in package libosp2".
> I found that libgtk2.0-common and libgtk1.2-common versionize the locale
> files, e.g., gtk20.mo and gtk+.mo, respectively.  I'm not certain that it was
> done to solve the same problem, but it looks like that would work in my case.
> Is there any reason not to do that?

You should either version the files, or move them into another package.
Versioning would seem to make more sense in the case of gettext data.  In
general, a shared library package must not contain any files which would
conflict with a later version of the same library.  Different versions of
the same shared library must not conflict with each other, so that the
library can be upgraded smoothly.

--
 - mdz