locale files

I maintain a package that provides a shared library, libosp3c102.  The files
/usr/share/locale/{ja,fr,de,sv}/LC_MESSAGES/sp.mo are part of the package.
However, they are also part of the package that provided the older version of
the same shared library, libosp2.  When I try to install libosp3c102 on a
system that has libosp2 installed, I get an error: "trying to overwrite
`/usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/sp.mo', which is also in package libosp2".
I found that libgtk2.0-common and libgtk1.2-common versionize the locale
files, e.g., gtk20.mo and gtk+.mo, respectively.  I'm not certain that it was
done to solve the same problem, but it looks like that would work in my case.
Is there any reason not to do that?

--
Neil Roeth