Re: Questions of legality WRT dvd software

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 11:21:13AM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
> The reason I'm writing is because I wonder about two things - the
> program itself is only a single .c file, about 15K compressed, and I

What about shipping it as a companion utility for the "cdrecord"
package?

> The second thing is the legality of this.  There are, I know, issues
> around the DMCA and friends that govern what you are allowed to do with
> dvd's, at least in some uncivilized countries, and I don't know if a

IANAL nor an American citizen, but the latest american judge position on
this kind of issue I've heard[1] is the reasonable one, i.e. that the
programs themselves are not illegal, while their usage can be.

You can have problems with CSS stuff though, I suggest you to ask on
debian-legal.

Cheers.

[1] the source is an Italian generic newspaper and the news was related
    to a file sharing program, it can be incorrect

--
Stefano Zacchiroli  --  Master in Computer Science @ Uni. Bologna, Italy
zack@{cs.unibo.it,debian.org,bononia.it}  -  http://www.bononia.it/zack/