Re: package author and maintainer

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 11:52:15AM +0200, Mattia Dongili wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a wannabe Debian maintainer (already applied the NM program). I
> packaged a small daemon (cpufreqd) of which I'm also the author.
>
> I was wondering If I need to package the sources with or without the
> .diff.gz archive.
>
> The Developer Reference says:
>
> If a package is developed specially for Debian and is not distributed
> outside of Debian, there is just one .tar.gz...
>
> I did not developed it specifically for Debian but it's not a problem to
> distribute the upstream version with the Debian modifications included
> since I'm also the upstream author.
>
> any suggestion?

(it was hard to provide you with a URL to the posting of Debian Mentors
 where I got the next advice )

Make a directory 'deb' that goes into the tar.gz.
Store in that dir al the debian stuff.
With a simple `cp -a deb debian` you have the debian directory
for building the package and .diff.gz

That makes it possible to act as both package author and maintainer.

Geert Stappers