Re: advice on closing bugs

Neil Roeth <neil@debian.org> writes:

> I recently adopted several packages (jade, openjade, opensp) and several of
> the open bugs were fixed by NMUs, so they have "fixed" tags.  I think all I
> need to do is send an email to nnn-done@bugs.debian.org that says, "This bug
> was fixed in the NMU of version 1.2.1-29.3.  The fix has been propagated to
> the latest version, 1.2.1-32.  So, as the new maintainer of the package, I am
> closing the bug".  Do I need to say any more?
>
> (I probably wouldn't have asked if there hadn't been so much recent flamage on
> -devel about closing bugs.)

There doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on the best way to close
fixed-by-NMU bugs.  Your method is of course fine (it's always
acceptable to close a bug through -done, I think).  Another common way
(though inferior, IMO) is to close them with a changelog entry such as

  * Acknowledge NMU (Closes: ...)

Colin's method is my favorite (dpkg-buildpackage -v ...)

--
Poems... always a sign of pretentious inner turmoil.