Re: Querying what packages are installed in postinst

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 08:28:55AM +0000, Alan Woodland wrote:

> For the next version of a package which I currently have sponsored in
> Debian (mozilla-mozgest) I want to add support for mozilla-firebird
> (preliminary packages are avalible from
> http://people.debian.org/~eric/debian/i386) and mozilla-snapshot. The
> problem is that in order to do this I need to do different things for each
> of the browsers in postinst and postrm. Basicaly what I'd like to know is
> if theres a nicer way to test if a package is installed than just testing
> the existance of files that the package would create if it was installed?

This way is actually quite nice if done correctly.  Test for the existence
of files which indicate the presence of the functionality that you need to
interact with (chrome registration?).  That way, even if this piece moves
from one package to another, for example, your package still does the right
thing.

--
 - mdz