Re: The Debian Mentors Project

I'm glad to see this service.

The Developer's Reference lists
http://www.internatif.org/bortzmeyer/debian/sponsor/ as being a place to
co-ordinate the sponsoring of packages. Currently it's unavailable to me
(down?). Other problems I have with it include: no place to upload
packages and it's for "Sponsorship of future Debian developers".

It's a great resource, but "The Debian Mentors Project" takes things a few
steps further. mentors.debian.net provides a place to put packages and a
chance for people to use the Debian system for uploading packages
(dupload, dput...). It also allows for a chance to practice using keys and
signing packages properly.

Alioth takes things in a different direction. Alioth allows non-Dd's to
contribute directly to an active project and provides space to put
packages. Alioth can be thought of as a better spot for packages as it
doesn't easily allow for apt-get lines. Alioth does not allow for (afaik)
the usage of dput and dupload which is good practice for people who want
to become a Debian developer. Alioth doesn't seem to require that its
users want to become Debian developers.

     Drew Daniels