Re: intend to adopt calc, so does someone else--need advice

On Mon, 5 May 2003 at 09:38 -0500, Luis Bustamante <luferbu@fluidsignal.com> wrote:
>Hi, Craig.

>    Craig> Greetings, I'm an avid Linux user and programmer, and I'd
>    Craig> like to become a Debian Developer.  As the first step in
>    Craig> this process, I'd like to take the calc source package and
>    Craig> maintain it via a sponsor.
>
>    Craig> I have downloaded it, updated the it against a more recent
>    Craig> Debian Policy version.  I also fixed the only bug against
>    Craig> the package (a wishlist that there be a file included in
>    Craig> the documentation).  I have built the package, which is
>    Craig> lintian clean, and tested on three different Debian
>    Craig> machines of two different architectures; it's ready to go.
>
>    Craig> Here's THE SNAG: I was sitting down to write to this list
>    Craig> to request a sponsor, I thought I'd check the qa page for
>    Craig> the package one more to make sure I hadn't missed anything.
>    Craig> Bug 188998 is from David Rios (drios@ne.com.co) on April 14
>    Craig> saying that he intends to adopt it.  I tried e-mailing him
>    Craig> at that address, but it bounced with a "User Unknown"
>    Craig> error.  I looked in the Debian Developer key ring, and I
>    Craig> don't think he's there.
>
>He's in the new maintainers queue, but his email address has changed
>(switching jobs). You can reach him at dfrios@users.sf.net.

At any rate, David Rios was before you and he haven't said anything
yet. So I suppose he is still interested on calc.

>    Craig> If anyone has any advice as to whether or not it would be
>    Craig> ethical to pursue getting a sponsor and uploading this
>    Craig> package, I'd appreciate it.

In January, at DebConf 2 in Perth, Australia Bdale Garbee as DLP
said that we should have more debian developers in countries where
there are almost none. During a Linux conference in Mexico, he was
amazed with the popularity of debian and none (zero) debian
developers in that country.

This is the oportunity of David Rios to become a debian developer.
He is from Colombia where there is only _one_ debian developer.

>Cheers,
>--
>Luis Bustamante

Aníbal Monsalve Salazar
- --
A.Monsalve.Salazar@its.monash.edu.au
Building 28C, Monash University, VIC 3800, Australia
Ph +61 3 99059849 Fx +61 3 99054746 Mb +61 4 08573670