Re: Lintian error when packaging an app.

On Monday 05 May 2003 16:13, Jaime Robles <jaime@kde.org> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am having some problems when packaging an application (KDE app):
> ==============================
> E: klog: symlink-should-be-relative
> usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/klog/common
> /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/common
> E: klog: package-has-a-duplicate-relation xlibs (>> 4.1.0), xlibs (>>
> 4.2.0) ==============================
>
> I think i don't have to pay atention to the second error

I agree.

> but it is the first time i get the first one...
> What is to be done to solve that problem?

Well as the error says, you have an absolute symlink from
usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/klog/common to
/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/common, which is not allowed.

Two possible solutions:

1. In your install target, after make install, add the following two
commands,which will remove the absolute symlink and add a replacement
relative symlink:

  rm debian/klog/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/klog/common
  ln -s ../common \
          debian/klog/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/klog/common

2. Add the appropriate flag to your make install command to tell it
where to install the documentation. Now, in the above case it seems
that the documentation may actually be being put in the right place, so
this may not help, but...

  $(MAKE) install prefix=$(CURDIR)/debian/klog/usr \
    kde_htmldir=$(CURDIR)/debian/klog/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML

for example.

> I have seen the lintian reports and MANY kde apps seems to suffer the
> same error in lintian...
> http://lintian.debian.org/reports/Tsymlink-should-be-relative.html

Hmm, these should really be fixed at some point.

> Thank you very much.

You are welcome.

Paul Cupis
- --