Re: Correct version numbering for pre-Versions?

Frank,

> Of course I wouldn't want to put such a pre-Version into the Debian
> archive.

If it works at least to some extent, it may be a good idea to put it in
the archive, accompanied by an R bug saying that this is not yet
suitable for release (which will keep it out of testing). Exposure to a
technology-savvy audience (unstable users) is a good thing for stuff in
the final bug-fixing phases.

> So, as long as upstream hasn't agreed to change this (or even stated
> they never will), what should I do? In the special case where I came
> across this, it's even worse: The development versions for to-be 1.2 are
> numbered 1.2-1 to 1.2-4, and I fear the release will be just 1.2.

The usual way is using "pre1", "pre2", ..., "rc1", ..., "rel". As a
matter of fact, this sorts nicely.

   Simon

--
GPG Fingerprint: 040E B5F7 84F1 4FBC CEAD  ADC6 18A0 CC8D 5706 A4B4