Re: Moving packages from "Requested" to "Can't be packaged"

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 04:41:27PM +0200, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> > / Bas Zoetekouw <bas@debian.org> wrote:
> > | AFAIK, there is no automatic way of doing this.  What about adding a
> > | new tag, something like CBP (cannot be packaged), to the wnpp?
> >
> > Why not simply close the bug and give an explanation?
>
> Because - when it really cannot be packaged and if the bug is archived -
> someone comes again with an ITP for that and someone has to explain him
> (or he does find out himself) that it cannot be packaged.

I think it's better as part of the web pages which somebody maintains
than bugs rather than having perpetually open unable-to-package bugs for
them. (We already have this! See
<http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/unable-to-package>.)

In some sense, all the existing wnpp bugs are bugs in Debian, so "this
piece of software isn't packaged" is a valid wishlist bug, or "this
package is without a maintainer" is a valid normal bug. But "this
software cannot be packaged" is not our bug, it's just a statement of
fact. Therefore, I think the bug analogy would be overstretched for this
kind of thing.