Re: Perl example scripts

> Hi,
>
> I may be speaking out of turn here (just a lurker), but recently I saw
> on the RC bugs list a large number of RC bugs that were put against
> several packages that were relying on files that came from
> /usr/share/doc/<package> directories.
>
> Here is the URL to the bug in question
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=185286.
>
> I believe that these sorts of files should go into /usr/share/<package>
> now.
>
> Let me know if I'm wrong on this one.

I am among the packagers who chose to put examples in
/usr/share/doc/<pkg>/examples - Take a look at the libpdf-api2-perl-doc
package for example. Why? Because those files are not useful by
themselves - they are just examples on, i.e., how to build a new PDF
with a specific page size... Not useful for anything but for
documentation.

By the way, I went a little further down that road - The package in
question includes some other contributed scripts, which the author of
the module felt belonging to the documentation (I split the package in
two because the upstream author also does so). Those contributed scripts
are also in the doc directory because, being the package called '-doc',
I thought it would be more natural for a user to look for them in the
documentation directory.

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.cx - (+52-55)5630-9700 ext. 1366