Re: Asking for an advocate (gURLChecker) ...

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 02:17:18PM +0200, Daniel Pecos wrote:

> 	Well, I ask for an advocate because of debian web page says this:

>         " ...
> 	  Applicants can find a sponsor by sending an email to
>           <debian-mentors@lists.debian.org> describing their package and
>           asking for a sponsor. Developers can find more information on
>           how to be a sponsor in the Developer's Reference."

> 	and after of this:

> 	" Advocate:
>           An existing Debian developer who recommends an Applicant. An
>           Applicant can only go through the NM process after an Advocate
>           has agreed with their application. The Sponsor of an Applicant
> 					     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>           often acts as their Advocate once they are satisfied with the
>           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 	  Applicant's skills."

> 	so I thougth this would be a good place to get help. But it seems
> 	tath I'm wron, as you are saying :-(

Which means:  you ask for a sponsor if you think you have a package that
deserves to be in the archive; and after you have a sponsor, you might
ask the sponsor to be your advocate.

> 	When I mailed this list, it was hoping anyone could check my packet
> 	and help me improving it, I wasn't asking for a DD to be "only" my
> 	advocate. I was only asking for an upportunity to start de NM
> 	process.

> 	I know there are many packagers in debian, but it really is a
> 	problem??

Yes, it is.  Is this a package that you think belongs in Debian?  By its
name alone, you haven't been successful at convincing *me* that it
belongs in Debian. ("gURLChecker"?  Sounds like another trivially-stupid
GNOME wrapper for something no one with a brain will ever need.)

The first step in finding a sponsor is to make a potential sponsor
understand *why* it's good to have this software in Debian.  And maybe
you'll find that no one agrees with you, which is also a lesson along the
road to becoming a DD.

Being a DD is about *much* more than packaging new software.  Most of the
programs that NMs package as part of their application do not (or should
not) get uploaded to the archive.  You're more likely to find an advocate
by helping us fix software that's already here.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer