Re: Forwarding Bugreports

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 05:04:56PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Hello,
> Isn't http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#forward self-contradictory?
> | Make sure that the To field of your message to the author to has only
> | the author(s) address(es) in it; put both the person who reported the
> | bug and nnn-forwarded@bugs.debian.org in the CC field.
> |
> | Ask the author to preserve the CC to nnn-forwarded@bugs when they
> | reply, so that the bug tracking system will file their reply with the
> | original report.
> |
> | When the bug tracking system gets a message at nnn-forwarded it will
> | mark the relevant bug as having been forwarded to the address(es) in
> | the To field of the message it gets.
>
> What will happen? The author replies *to* *me* and CCs nnn-forwarded,
> and according to the last quoted paragraph the BTS will mark the
> bugreport as forwarded *to* *me*. Either the documentation of what
> nnn-forwarded does or the description "how to forward a bug-report" is
> wrong.

If a bug is already marked as forwarded, then cc'ing -forwarded will log
the message in the bug report but not change the forwarded-to address.
The last quoted paragraph should probably be clarified to say "if the
bug in question is not already marked as forwarded".

> If the documentation of nnn-forwarded is correct, simply setting
> author (and nnn-forwarded) should work much better. - The discussion
> is archived in the BTS and I get the messages anyway, because I'm
> either the maintainer or at least subscribed to the package via PTS.

That works too. Take your pick. The point is that to encourage the
upstream author not to reply to you alone, but to reply in such a way as
to reach the bug log.

Cheers,