Re: Does a package name have to match path names?

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 06:44:03PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 April 2003 17:51, Brett Cundal wrote:
> > Hi mentors,
> >
> > First, I have an opinion question: I'm maintaining the gnu-smalltalk
> > package, and I'm considering splitting it up into several packages (X
> > and non-X for starters). If I do so, the resulting packages will have
> > rather long names (gnu-smalltalk-common springs to mind). Would it be
> > a good idea to rename the package "gst"? It's nice and short, and the
> > interpreter executable is called "gst". Is it considered bad form to
> > rename a package unless absolutely neccesary? AFAIK, it's not
> > technically difficult in a case like this.
>
> remember, some people go hunting for packages knowing only the upstream name.
> When at all possible it is a good idea to name it whatever they do while
> following Debian conventions.  As for the name being too long, that is ok,
> don't worry about it.  We have things like libperl-foo-bar-baz too.

I know we have such mind-blowingly long package names, but I don't
think they're widely held to be a *good* thing. :)

Given the suggestion to follow upstream as much as possible, and given
that upstream calls the package "smalltalk", I'm wondering if I should
just rename the package to "smalltalk"...

> > Secondly, supposing I did rename the package, is it okay to keep
> > installing to /usr/share/gnu-smalltalk, /usr/lib/gnu-smalltalk, etc?
> > Does the install path have to match the package name
> > (i.e. /usr/share/gst)? The previous maintainer moved the default
> > installation location (/usr/share/smalltalk) seemingly only to match
> > the package name, and I'm curious if that was neccesary. I don't see
> > anything indicating that in Policy or the FHS... If I change the
> > install directory for whatever reason, could that break anything?
>
> again, it is a good idea to mimic the upstream.  failing that, yes it is
> preferable for the path to match the package name.

So, pros for renaming to "smalltalk" (in order of importance?):

1) Package name matches upstream
2) File locations match upstream
3) Reduces my .diff to only debian/* files
4) Shorter name :)

Cons:

1) Package name changes
2) File locations change on upgrade
3) Name is quite generic
4) Won't catch upstream errors caused by changing PACKAGE :)

I guess what I don't know is exactly how bad the cons are...

Opinions welcome. :)

-- Brett