Re: Should I sign up for New Maintainer even though I don't have an advodcate?

You are quite harsh, but kind of funny too :-)

I've now been advocated, so this point is kind of
moot, but here is an example.

I posted I don't know how many debugging reports
to debian/hurd over the last couple years. I bought
the hardware, struggled to make cross compilers and
cross debuggers for years, finally got it going and
sent in a bunch of gdb captures and such, and just
eventually got overwhelmed. I wasn't getting any
credit for this, I was putting in a lot of time
effort and money, and I just wanted to be a part
of Debian (who I was essentially working for) and
since its a volunteer effort, it would be nice that
I could be a part of the orginization that I was
working for and love so much.

Thats all I was getting at. I'm initiated into
the process now, so I hope I can apply my unique
skills to Debian's advantage.

Roland Mas wrote:

  So you want to help Debian how?  Just maintaining one package does
not require Debian membership.  Nor does it constitute grounds to be
called "Debian Developer".  What do you want to do that falls between
"Maintainer" and "Developer"?  You don't seem to want to report bugs.
Or fix them.  Or send patches.  Or participate on the lists.  Or get
involved in any way but getting the possibility to scp your package
straight into Sid.

Yeah, but it seems like you at least need one package to be responsible
for. I want to do a lot of other things too, but I will have this one
package at the start which I will deal with.

  And becoming a Debian Developer will change that how?  You won't get
any more recognition: you'll only impress Debian people (who don't
care), other Linux people (who'll laugh at you for being Debian and
not $OTHERDIST).  The rest of the world doesn't care.

That is not my concern at all. It's the empty wagon that makes all
the noise. Let them laugh. I want to be a DD because I have a lot
of good programming skills and I'm not blowing smoke here. What I
do not have is much to apply them on. Face it it is tough to create
a completely unique project from scratch since so much good stuff is
already out there. I'm still cutting my teeth, I'm a good programmer,
but not that experienced in organizing large projects.

Thanks for the tips Roland!