Re: Flogging a dead horse....

[Please don't send me private copies of replies to list mail - thanks.]

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 05:09:22AM -0500, B. Douglas Hilton wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> >On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 03:08:22AM -0500, B. Douglas Hilton wrote:
> >>Still, I am back on my "must join Debian" kick and I really intend
> >>to join. It may take years, oh well. Instead of adopting a package
> >>I have resurrected one:
> >>
> >>http://www.gyrodynamic.net/debian/xdrum   [nat'ted .. slow]
> >
> >If nobody else steps up then let me know. I can't connect to your web
> >server at the moment, but Google suggests you have an
> >'xdrum_1.7-2.tar.gz' file. It's normally better to put a pristine
> >upstream source tarball in xdrum_1.7.orig.tar.gz and let dpkg-source
> >build the source package in source+diff format; that way the
> >Debian-specific changes are easier to review.
>
> Like I said, I took over upstream. There are no Debian specific changes
> because it is now Debian-native. Until it gets accepted then I see no
> reason to make a diff to my own code.

Offhand I can think of at least one package I maintain upstream where I
use source+diff format, because I find the separation useful. However,
if you want to stick to Debian-native, I don't think you should have a
Debian revision number (the '-2'); use version numbers like 1.7.1,
1.7.2, etc.

(Policy is ambiguous here, but it does say about the Debian revision:

          It is optional; if it isn't present then the <upstream_version>
          may not contain a hyphen.  This format represents the case where
          a piece of software was written specifically to be turned into a
          Debian package, and so there is only one "debianization" of it
          and therefore no revision indication is required.

I think this implies that Debian-native packages shouldn't have a hyphen
in their version number.)

I know this is nitpicky, but I'd been hoping to quickly glance through a
.diff.gz from Google's cache and dealing with a .tar.gz is more work. :)
I'll have a look at the rest of the package later.

> And I'm sorry, I don't want to appear to be pummeling the Debian-Mentors
> group with sorry-a##ed appeals for instant membership. I just really do
> want to get involved, and unfortunately I lost my old mentors email when
> I rebuilt my system and I want to re-connect with somebody. I know that
> it is not an instant process. Nuff said.

My (friendly :)) advice would be to skip the appeals and just present
what you've got. Mentors do tend to step up given a few days. It's OK to
send pings if nobody appears, though.

Cheers,