Re: pbuilder - how to use existing apt cache?

On Sunday 16 Mar 2003 10:53, Johannes Rohr wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I think this question has been answered here before. However, I could
> not find it in the list archives:
>
> Since I'm behind a 64-k ISDN line, I would like pbuilder to use
> cached packages from /var/cache/apt/archives, if available instead of
> unconditionally downloading all the stuff. But unfortunately,
> /var/cache/apt/archives doesn't seem to be accessible from within the
> chroot.
>
> Well, I could run dpkg-scanpackages on /var/cache/apt/archives and
> make the files available through a local web server which then could
> be added to the pbuilderrc as OTHERMIRROR. But wouldn't pbuilder try
> MIRRORSITE first anyway, so that OTHERMIRROR remains completely
> unused?
>
> Is there a 'canonical' way to achive what I'm asking for?

I recommend that you use apt-proxy

 apt-proxy automatically builds a Debian HTTP mirror based
 on requests which pass through the proxy.  It's great for
 multiple Debian machines on the same network with a slower
 internet link.

 * install and setup apt-proxy
 * use apt-proxy-import to import your existing packages into the
proxy's mirror from /var/cache/apt/archives/
 * modify /etc/apt/sources.list to use the proxy to do your normal
apt-get-ing
* modify pbuilder to use the proxy to retreive packages

This way you should only have to download packages once, whether you use
them on your machine or if pbuilder uses them.

Snippets from my /etc/apt/sources.list and ~/.pbuilderrc

#############
deb http://localhost:9999/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://localhost:9999/debian unstable main contrib non-free

MIRRORSITE=http://localhost:9999/debian