Re: A new package which I would like to add to Debian

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 01:41:14AM -0500, Kevin J. Kalupson wrote:
> There is a biology/bio-informatics package which I would like to add to
> debian.

Interesting :)

> I have easily installed this package under woody and would like to
> know what steps I should take to turn this piece of software into a deb.

Well, if you have no experience in building debian packages and don't
plan on doing this regularly, you can file a 'Request for
Packaging'(RFP) bug against WNPP (see http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/)
and wait for an existing Developer to pick it up eventually.

> My first question is "Am I writing to the correct list?".

yes, I think so.

> My other questions have to do with what I should read to learn how to
> properly debianize this package.

Well, if you want to do it yourself, you can read the stuff at
the right hand side of http://www.debian.org/devel, in particular the
Debian Policy and the New Maintainer's Guide.

> As far as I know it is free-ware, but may end up under non-free.

That's the problem with a lot of scientific software I've encountered.
'Free for academic use' is not Free enough for Debian, I'm afraid.  See
the DFSG (http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines) for what's
required for inclusion in main. 'Free-ware' is seldom equal to 'Free
Software'. If you point us to the license, we could take a closer look.

regards,

Michael