Re: A new package which I would like to add to Debian

Kevin J. Kalupson wrote:

There is a biology/bio-informatics package which I would like to add to debian. I have easily installed this package under woody and would like to know what steps I should take to turn this piece of software into a deb. My first question is "Am I writing to the correct list?". If I am not writing to the correct list at this point, please let me know. My other questions have to do with what I should read to learn how to properly debianize this package. As far as I know it is free-ware, but may end up under non-free.
Thank you everyone who replies,
Kevin J. Kalupson

I just started a couple weeks ago myself...
Reading this "New Maintainers Guide" is a must: http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/index.en.html
It's instructions are actually very accurate and complete.

If you go to the Debian Home Page and click on Developer's Corner, you'll end up here: http://www.debian.org/devel On the right-hand side of the are some useful packaging links. The Debian Policy Manual, Developer's Reference, and the menu systems and FHS are the only possible ones you could need to make a first crack at a package. Oh, and I recommend debhelper as opposed to dmake.

Also, install the reportbug package, and then report a bug for wnpp (work-needing and prospective packages) package by typing "reportbug wnpp" or just running "reportbug" and selecting "wnpp" from the menu. You can look through the list for your package (unless you are already positive that no one is packaging it, in which case you press 's' to skip). Then select ITP (Intent to Package) and then procede from there.

Good luck,
Dave

--

David J. Grant