Re: Upstream debian/ dir.

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 04:19:29PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 09:34:18PM +0000, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
>
> > I'm sure I've seen this hashed over in the past, so feel free to point me
> > at list archives.
> >
> > I'm the Debian maintainer for pksd, an OpenPGP keyserver. I've been asked
> > by upstream if I want to maintain the debian/ directory in the project's
> > CVS. The RPM .spec file is already done this way. Is there any good reason
> > not to do this? It will make things a lot easier for people pulling
> > running CVS builds. The only drawback I can see is changes in the
> > packaging between releases leads to a whole new src tarball to upload to
> > the archive rather than just a new diff, but hopefully this shouldn't
> > happen too often.
>
> Here is my list of stock answers to this question.  Some of the problems go
> away if you ensure that:
>
> - The debian/ directory is not shipped as part of upstream tarball releases,
>   and
> - The debian/ directory is not included in normal CVS checkouts
>
> Both of these can be accomplished by creating a separate branch for the
> Debian packaging, but this is often undesirable.

Yep.  I think this is the right answer.

Also I saw couple tar files with moved debian/ directory.
(Something like debian-old/.)

If debian-old/rule contains something like

if [ ! -d debian ] ; then
    cp -a debian-old debian
fi

it should be quite useful for testing while keeping debian/ clean.

I also wonder why they made it policy to move existing debian out of way
during execution of "dpkg -x package.dsc"?
        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract