Re: Library documentation

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 08:22:09PM +0100, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> Should I have doxygen generate manpages and include them in the -doc
> package? Some packages, though not too many, seem to include manpages
> for their library functions and I certainly like them around for libc
> functions and similar.

I think it's a good idea, although I'm biased. :)

> I'm not absolutly sure that "functions" in policy 13.1 refers API
> functions of libraries.

As far as I know, it does.

> Certainly the "in the same package" looks strange for those.

It's possible some rewording is necessary to allow them to go in a
complementary -dev or -doc package.

> Also I wonder the appropriate section isn't entirely clear to me: the
> same policy paragraph instructs me to use 1-9 only (three would be my
> guess),

That's correct, yes.

> but common examples (ncurses5-dev) use 3libraryname instead.

Section 3foo is part of 3. The policy paragraph in question is there to
stop people using obsolete sections like l, n, and o.

You should only need to use a sectional extension (like ncurses) if you
think there's going to be a name clash between your pages and somebody
else's. If that's not the case, extensions do no harm but aren't needed.

Cheers,