Library documentation

Hello.

While working on libchipcard packages, I'm considering to include the api
documentation. Probably this would go in a doc package (html docs alone make
500k package and 4.2M installed).
The documentation is generated by doxygen, which allows many output formats,
amongst others man.
Should I have doxygen generate manpages and include them in the -doc package?
Some packages, though not too many, seem to include manpages for their library
functions and I certainly like them around for libc functions and similar.
I'm not absolutly sure that "functions" in policy 13.1 refers API functions of
libraries. Certainly the "in the same package" looks strange for those.
Also I wonder the appropriate section isn't entirely clear to me: the same
policy paragraph instructs me to use 1-9 only (three would be my guess), but
common examples (ncurses5-dev) use 3libraryname instead.
The documentation policy and the comments I found in the developers' reference
seem to primarily address user documentation. (They're quite clear about HTML
being the prefered output format, but beyond that I haven't found much answers
to above matters.) The libpkg-guide doesn't appear to offer any comment, either.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Thomas