Re: How to install images without getting executable-not-elf-or-script error?

Hi,

David Grant wrote:
> I have a simple package with one binary and a bunch of images should go
> into "/usr/share/games/gav/themes/classic"

[...]
>    install ./themes/classic/* $(DESTDIR)/usr/share/games/gav/themes/classic
     ^^^^^^^
     install installs per default with -rwxr-xr-x

> Lintian is complaining that files aren't ELF binaries:
>
> W: gav: executable-not-elf-or-script
> ./usr/share/games/gav/themes/classic/background_big.png
> N:
> N:   This executable file is not an ELF format binary, and does not start
> N:   with the #! sequence that marks interpreted scripts. It might be a sh
> N:   script that fails to name /bin/sh as its shell.
> N:
> N:   Refer to Policy Manual, section 11.4 for details.
> N:
> W: gav: executable-not-elf-or-script
> ./usr/share/games/gav/themes/classic/ball.png
> <snip>

Lintian is complainig that the files are +x and aren't scripts or ELF
binaries. And images aren't scripts or binaries...

> I was just imitating what they do in the Debian New Maintainer's Guide
> for the case of icons, but I get these errors.

Just remove the executable bit on these files after installing them and
you're fine (or use install -m644)

Regards,

Rene
--
 .''`.  Rene Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73