Re: packaging question: what to do about this file...

Hi

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:10:03AM -0500, sean finney wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 03:25:14PM +0100, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> > 1) Document that robots.txt should be copied to the proper place
> >    in the README.Debian file.
> > 2) Tell the user to do that in a debconf box, or even to ask for
> >    where to install it.
>
> the /usr/share/doc docs are already there, i was just thinking that
> it would be nice if the user didn't have to do anything, but maybe
> i'm just being too much of a worry wart about it and anyone who
> installed it would read the docs?

Well if the docs is already there things are quite set already.

> also i know folks generally frown on what they consider frivolous debconf
> messages/questions -- would this classify as frivolous?  if not,
> at what priority should i set the question?

Well low is a good priority for such things, I think. Maybe a little
higher if you think it is more important.

> > I think it is a really bad idea to install it in /var/www. First
> > of all this default place is probably not used, more than for very very
> > basic installations and also because you can overwrite other things.
>
> agreed.  i also thought it was sketchy because it would be
> anonymously plopping a file somewhere, and a user might get
> a little confused about where it came from and what it was
> doing...

Well dpkg -S will tell you that so that is not a big problem.
You should not copy the file in there by a postinst. If you do that
you will confuse people a lot. :)

Anyway. I'm interested in the package and will probably test it
soon. I just have to get some time to spare on it.

Regards

// Ola

> anyway, thanks
> 	sean

/  opal@debian.org                     Annebergsslingan 37      \
|  opal@lysator.liu.se                 654 65 KARLSTAD          |
|  +46 (0)54-10 14 30                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |