Re: Depends: syntax

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 07:44:43PM +0000, Brian M. Carlson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 11:30:39PM +0100, Frank Gevaerts wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 08:25:19PM +0100, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> [ how to satisfy the dependencies of the fonts ]
> > I didn't try. I decided to go for a Suggests: line of the larabie fonts.

> > > If not a lot of packages are in violation. For example some packages
> > > depend on "some-free-java-impementation | java-virtual-machine". j-v-m
> > > is also satisfied by non-free packages.
>
> As long as the virtual package is not also a real package, that's fine.
> For example, tkpgp Depends: gnupg | pgp. But pgp is a virtual package
> provided by the non-free package pgp and the free package pgpgpg.
> Therefore, tkpgp (which is excellent, and I highly recommend), is in
> contrib.

I just noticed that tkpgp Depends: gnupg | pgp | pgp5i, so I think it is
the pgp5i that puts tkpgp in contrib.
I think that if there is at least one package in main that provides a
certain virtual package, that virtual package must also be considered to
be in main. If not, that would mean that just making a non-free package
that provides this virtual package could move a lot of other packages to
contrib.

> But if j-v-m is an actual package that Depends: kaffe | sablevm |
> jre1.4, then that would be forbidden, because j-v-m must go in contrib
> and so must the package depending on it.

OK. I think this interpretation is rather strict (since, to the end-user
there is no difference between this and the virtual approach), but it is
certainly valid.

> > It's probably ok then. I guess that as long as the first option is in
> > main, there is no problem.
>
> I don't think that's ok. See for example the list of packages in main
> depending on non-main packages[0] and specifically digitaldj. digitaldj
> Depends: maplay3 | mpg123 | amp; the former is free, and the latter
> two are non-free.

OK, this shows that the strict interpretation is at least shared by the
qa people. I do think however that policy should be more clear here.

By the way, just to nitpick, dows mpg123 really count as non-free here?
mpg321 Provides: it. If I have no non-free sources listed, mpg123 will
be indistinguishable from a virtual package...

> IMHO, you should Depends: ttf-freefont and Suggests:
> ttf-larabie-*. Then, if the Larabie fonts are there, you can use them,
> otherwise use ttf-freefont.

I did this in the end (before I gor your mail), because it more clearly
indicates what I mean. I even hesitated about adding the Suggests: line,
because the ttf-larabie-* fonts do not really enhance gameplay that
much.

Frank