Re: smb-network package

Note: Please Cc me, if you reply. I am not subscribed to the list. Thanks.

On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 03:14:55PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:

> Ahoj Marcel,

Wow, are you familiar with the Czech language? :-) BTW we use declination
in Czech, so it should be "Ahoj Marceli". :-)

> On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 03:14:17PM +0100, Marcel Kolaja wrote:
>
> > wants to sponsor me. I have my GPG key already signed by present Debian
> > maintainer. Unfortunately different key (FFC7E5D4) from that one which
> > I signed the package with (28E18DE1). Is it enough to sign my 28E18DE1 key
> > with the FFC7E5D4 one?
>
> Once you become a developer, you will always need to do your uploads
> using your signed key that is part of the Debian keyring.  While your

Well, I thought, if I become a developer I would generate a new key for
the @debian.org address.

> Why do you have two different keys?  Is there a reason that the key you
> asked Zdenek to sign is not the key that you want to use for package
> uploads?

Well, I have been working on the package at work, so I maintained the
package as marcel@solnet.cz, because I did not want to use an academic
address in the commercial sphere. I got my key signed by Kabi long before,
from times I got an idea of becoming Debian maintainer. So the signature
and the smb-network package are two different things. But it will not be
a problem to change the maintainership to my academic identity.

> and I see by reading the script that this is true.  If this package is
> uploaded to the archive, you will soon find bugs filed against it,
> because smbclient does not provide a consistent, machine-parseable
> interface to browse lists.  The two main problems are (debian-mentors
> people may want to stop reading here):
>
> The smbclient utility now uses port 445 by default if possible.  Port
> 445 is NetBIOSless, so does not provide information about lists of
> computers on the network.  As a result, smb-network will not work on
> networks with Win2K or WinXP machines.  You should use 'smbclient -p 139'
> to get the behavior you need for browse lists.  The behavior of
> smbclient here is deliberate, and will not be changed.
>
> Currently, smbclient uses an old "RAP" call to query the list of shares
> on a machine.  This is the method used by old DOS clients, which cannot
> understand long filenames or filenames with spaces in them.  As a
> result, Windows servers will not display some names in the share list
> when using RAP.  While this may be fixed in a later version of
> smbclient, in the meantime you should use the 'net share' command from
> Samba 3.0 to get a list of shares (net share -S server -U username).

Yes, I agree the software needs some changes inside. I will consult this
with the upstream maintainer. Thanks a lot for your comments.

> Steve Langasek

Regards,

Marcel Kolaja
"Software is like sex - it's better when it's free."
       -- Linus Torvalds