Re: smb-network package

Ahoj Marcel,

Your questions are probably more appropriate for debian-mentors; cc:ing
the list.

On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 03:14:17PM +0100, Marcel Kolaja wrote:

> I created a package of smb-network
> (http://www.dragonsdawn.net/~gordon/smb-network/), a WWW based SMB network
> browser. Packages (source and binary) are available at
> http://www.solnet.cz/private/marcel/smb-network/. For binary package you
> can also add

> deb http://www.solnet.cz/private/marcel/debian ./

> to your sources.list file. Although the upstream maintainer forgot to
> include a license file in the tarball of the latest version, smb-network
> is GNU GPL software (I asked the upstream maintainer about it). I am not
> a Debian maintainer, but I would be happy to become a Debian maintainer
> and maintain smb-network. So I would like to ask if there is anyone who
> wants to sponsor me. I have my GPG key already signed by present Debian
> maintainer. Unfortunately different key (FFC7E5D4) from that one which
> I signed the package with (28E18DE1). Is it enough to sign my 28E18DE1 key
> with the FFC7E5D4 one?

Once you become a developer, you will always need to do your uploads
using your signed key that is part of the Debian keyring.  While your
package is being sponsored, it matters very little; it is the
responsibility of your sponsor to *personally* verify the contents of
your package before uploading it, whether or not you've signed the
package.

Why do you have two different keys?  Is there a reason that the key you
asked Zdenek to sign is not the key that you want to use for package
uploads?

> Next I have a question about developing. I have defined no dependencies
> because I do not know which way is the best to responsibly determine the
> dependencies. For example I know smb-network.cgi is written in Perl, but
> I do not know which one of the Perl packages should I write into the
> Depends item of the package. I also know smb-network needs WWW server and
> smbclient, but is there any other way to determine the dependencies than
> guessing what everything is required for run of the package?

For a perl script, this is probably a good start:

$ grep "use " smb-network.cgi
# Don't use MIME if you just want files to download, never using
use CGI;
# Create URL encoded copies of each field for use in links
$

So smb-network.cgi is using the Perl CGI module, which you should be
able to easily find.

However, you mention that the package uses smbclient for its browsing,
and I see by reading the script that this is true.  If this package is
uploaded to the archive, you will soon find bugs filed against it,
because smbclient does not provide a consistent, machine-parseable
interface to browse lists.  The two main problems are (debian-mentors
people may want to stop reading here):

The smbclient utility now uses port 445 by default if possible.  Port
445 is NetBIOSless, so does not provide information about lists of
computers on the network.  As a result, smb-network will not work on
networks with Win2K or WinXP machines.  You should use 'smbclient -p 139'
to get the behavior you need for browse lists.  The behavior of
smbclient here is deliberate, and will not be changed.

Currently, smbclient uses an old "RAP" call to query the list of shares
on a machine.  This is the method used by old DOS clients, which cannot
understand long filenames or filenames with spaces in them.  As a
result, Windows servers will not display some names in the share list
when using RAP.  While this may be fixed in a later version of
smbclient, in the meantime you should use the 'net share' command from
Samba 3.0 to get a list of shares (net share -S server -U username).

Regards,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer