Re: Sponsor request for sjeng

On Wed, 29 May 2002, Oohara Yuuma wrote:

> On 25 May 2002 18:34:08 +0200,
> Lukas Geyer <lukas@ispwest.com> wrote:
> > I built a Debian package for sjeng, a chess engine which is capable of
> > playing several variants (suicide, crazyhouse, bughouse) in addition
> > to normal chess. It works fine with eboard and xboard, license is GPL,
> > and there was a RFP for it, which I changed to ITP (#130019). Upstream
> > source is at http://sjeng.sourceforge.net, my package (source and
> > powerpc-binary) is at
> >
> > http://www.mathematik.uni-dortmund.de/lsix/geyer/debian
> It seems interesting.  Some comments:
>
> debian/rules says:
> | ifneq (,$(findstring debug,$(DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS)))
> |         CFLAGS += -g
> | endif
> This won't work because the upstream Makefile defines CFLAGS in it.
> Add
> export CFLAGS = -O2
> before the ifneq line to control how ./configure defines CFLAGS.

OK, thanks, I have now reworked this section a bit. It now reads

-- Snip --
CC = gcc
CFLAGS = -O2 -Wall
LDFLAGS =

# C++ is not used in this version, but configure looks for it
CXX = g++
CXXFLAGS = -O2 -Wall

ifneq (,$(findstring debug,$(DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS)))
        CFLAGS += -g
        CXXFLAGS += -g
endif

export CC CFLAGS LDFLAGS CXX CXXFLAGS
-- Snip --

This seems to do the right thing.

> | ifeq (,$(findstring nostrip,$(DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS)))
> |        INSTALL_PROGRAM += -s
> | endif
> This is unnecessary because the upstream does not strip the binary
> by default and dh_strip does the right thing.

OK, thanks, I removed that.

> If you use debhelper version 3 or later, it marks every file
> in /etc as conffile even if the file is in debian/conffiles.
> Having debian/conffiles may cause a duplicated entry of Conffiles:.

OK, thanks for this, too, didn't know it.

I changed one other detail, the default configuration file now gets
installed in /usr/share/doc/sjeng/examples/, the manpage is updated
accordingly.

Updated version is available under the same address

http://www.mathematik.uni-dortmund.de/lsix/geyer/debian

Best regards,
Lukas