Re: lib sdl

hi

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 04:52:59PM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Andrea Mennucc <debian@Tonelli.sns.it> writes:
> > I am helping packaging mplayer; it depends on libsdl;
>   Sorry, but I don't really understand why you are working on
>   reinventing packaging that has already been done by
>   Christian Marillat at http://marillat.free.fr.

What Christian Marillat has been doing was surely done with good intentions
in mind; and indeed I have already asked him for any help he wishes to
provide; but there were some problems/issues.

(btw: didn't you ask yourself
"why Christian Marillat's package is not Debian?")

Let us review the history of mplayer-in-debian (afaik it)

0) mplayer has a debian directory in CVS; and it has been
 possible to dpkg-buildpackage it using that directory for a long
 time ( at least since 26 Feb 2001); Darius Pietrzak manages those files

0bis) Darius Pietrzak has filed an ITP for mplayer in Debian wnpp [3]

1) Christian Marillat has released many packages (the first on 26 Feb 2001,
 according to the changelog); but

 1a) he has not obtained permission from the authors: quite on the
 opposite, the authors had asked to NOT package mplayer [1] [2]

 2a) the different parts of the source code of mplayer were subject to
 different licenses, and this prohibited a binary packaging of
 them all together [2]

>   You don't seem to have understood what cooperative work
>   means.

you don't seem to have read the policy: it clearly states

"We reserve the right to restrict files from being included anywhere in
our archives if
    * their use or distribution would break a law,
    * there is an ethical conflict in their distribution or use,
    * we would have to sign a license for them, or
    * their distribution would conflict with other project policies."

and in the mantainer's guide [4]:

# you should contact program's author(s) to check if they agree with
packaging it. It is important to be able to consult with author(s)
about the program in case of any program specific problems, so don't
try to package unmaintained pieces of software.

a.

[1] http://mp.dev.hu/DOCS/users_against_developers.html#binary
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200111/msg00728.html
[3] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=113238&repeatmerged=y
[4] http://www.de.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-first.html

--
Andrea Mennucc
 "E' un mondo difficile. Che vita intensa!" (Renato Carotone)