Re: Problem with conffiles

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 10:07:51PM +0200, Josef Spillner wrote:
> I have trouble installing configuration files into /etc.
> They're in the distribution, and are marked in DEBIAN/conffiles.
>
> However, they're unpacked as /etc/$name.dpkg-new,

Yes, that's the normal way conffiles are unpacked.

> and during the configuration of the package they're erased.

I believe that, if the user has removed the conffile locally, then that
will be considered a configuration choice and so it'll be preserved -
that is, the file won't be reinstalled. You have to use the
--force-confmiss option to dpkg to reinstall it, although you probably
don't want to use that option indiscriminately (it's marked as dangerous
in 'dpkg --force-help').