Re: Package names case sensitive?

Stefan Schwandter <e9925373@student.tuwien.ac.at> cum veritate scripsit:

> Hmm, I would also prefer a short name like jackit, just because it's
> short :-)
>
> But what are in your opinion the disadvantages in maintaining a package
> with such a long name?

I think it's more of a personal preference...
Packages that don't need to be directly installed by users,
like jackit-audio-connection-kit, don't need to be really short,
because people don't type it very often.

And it's the source package name, isn't it?

$ grep-available -FMaintainer dancer@debian -sPackage| awk '{sum+= length($2); i ++} END{print sum / i }'
12.3125

grep-available -FMaintainer robbe@debian.org -sPackage| awk '{sum+= length($2); i ++} END{print sum / i }'
10.3571

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org : Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer
GPG Fingerprint : 17D6 120E 4455 1832 9423  7447 3059 BF92 CD37 56F4