Re: Package names case sensitive?

also sprach Stefan Schwandter <e9925373@student.tuwien.ac.at> [2002.04.05.1442 +0200]:
> I know that policy recommends not to use uppercase letters in package
> names, but I'd like to package jack (jackit.sourceforge.net).
> Unfortunately, there already is a (source) package named jack in the
> debian archive, so I would have to rename "my" jack package.
>
> I wouldn't have to, if I could call my source package JACK, and if the
> debian archives would treat it as a different package.
>
> Does this work?

no, and it would be horrible because there's no intuitive difference
between jack and JACK that can relate to the difference between the
two pieces of software. a package name is supposed to give a real
clue, and i wouldn't know what the difference between jack and JACK
are...

why not name it jackit since that's apparently the project name on
sourceforge?

every nonzero finite dimensional inner product space
has an orthonormal basis.