packaging question

Ok.. so i'm working on packages for jedit .. and I'm contemplating
splitting the documentation into its own sepperate package.

so there will be

jedit
jedit-doc or jedit-doc-html (which is prefered)?

background(for non-jedit users) : jedit has a built-in doc-browser which
loads a startup page.

I was thinking about replacing this page with something that says ...
hey .. you need to install the jedit-doc package or something similar..

is this a reasonable solution?

..the documentation isn't that heavy .. but I'm of the opinion that it
should be a seperate package... if for no other reason than I don't like
to have unneaded docs installed on my system.. if I don't want them...

The docs are distributed in the same src package as the program, so if I
make two packages, one for the docs and one for the binary.. won't the
debian archive contain two identical versions of the source code when it
is uploaded? .. this seams kinda bloated ... so I'm sure there is something I don't understand ... is this what multiple-binary packages are for?

if not ... is it acceptable for me to split the original src tarball
locally and upload the split versions to the debian archive, or must the
sources be "prestine" ...

... i'm not sure if this all made sense .. so if there is anyting I can
tell you to help clarify I will..

.. any insights, thoughts, RTFMs (which ones, what section) would be
helpfull

-dave