Re: mentor request

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 06:46:19PM +0100, Tobias Bengtsson wrote:
> Hi, I wan't to get our companys software packages in Debian. We've already
> had our own apt-source for them about a year now and I think its time for
> the world to learn about our LGPL:ed product.
Heh, I went to your site and though, oh they've messed their html up,
then I realised it was the name of the company!

Hello Tobias,
  I assume when you mean "in Debian" you mean that you will put your
packages(s) into the Debian distribution.  I sit on the Debian mentor's
list as well as an Application Manager for the New Maintainer process so
I can talk about both of these.

> I read [ http://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm-step1 ] and identified mailing
> you guys as the very first step I should take.
> uhm.. about my open source experience.. well.. that's what I live for..
> and our company.. well, we don't earn any money and hardly ever get paid,
> but we have a free product :)
:) The first step I'd suggest is finding a sponsor of your package.
That can be on on the mentor's list.  In theory you could keep going
that way forever if you and your sponsor are happy with that situation
though its not optimal.

Generally but not always, the sponsor would be your advocate.  That's
because they know you are interested and can package something.

> Here is a scan of my swedish ID-card:
>   http://www.tobbe.nu/images/id.jpg  (337Kb)
Several things wrong with that:
  - the photo ID must be in a signed email to your application manager
  - that form of ID is only used if there is no way of signing your GPG
	key.

So here are my suggested steps
 - ask for a sponsor of your packages
 - sponsor checks your packages, is happy with them or you fix them up
   and uploads them
 - You get a GPG key
 - you ask sponsor to be advocate (most likely they agree but they don't
   have to)
 - Apply to be a Debian New Maintainer http://nm.debian.org/
 - Advocate replies to NM email
 - You get processed.

Remember before you start the NM process you need a GPG key, an advocate
and a reasonable idea of how to package something and the general
philosophy behind Debian.  There are 21 Debian developers in Sweden so
you might find someone real close.
  - Craig

--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>