Re: Are kernel-patch packages native or non-native?

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:35, Ian Duggan wrote:
> Are kernel-patch packages considered native or non-native? I am trying
> to understand what the final set of files should be when I am done
> packaging a kernel-patch. Right now, I have the following files:
>
> 	kernel-patch-preempt_20020315.dsc
> 	kernel-patch-preempt_20020315.tar.gz
> 	kernel-patch-preempt_20020315_all.deb
> 	kernel-patch-preempt_20020315_i386.changes
>
> As you can see, the packaging process has created a .tar.gz instead of
> an .orig.tar.gz. Is this the correct thing? The .dsc file properly
> refers to the .tar.gz.
>
> Should I be doing something differently in the packaging process so that
> I end up with a .orig.tar.gz? I ended up with this list because I never
> ran "dh_make" using an initial .tar.gz. Is that what I am supposed to do
> here?

If you want an orig.tar.gz then you have to have one there before running
dpkg-buildpackage.

As for kernel-patch packages, if your package is like the ones I manage then
you'll have a new patch to add to the package every few weeks and no other
updates.  So there's no benefit in not uploading the original source every
time.