Installing an emacs mode

Hello,

After going over the emacs policy documentation and experimenting with
installing in emacs a "Major mode for editing Flora programs" called
flora-mode in the xsb package I'm preparing, it's still unclear to me
how this process works. I have a few questions:

1) (from the emacs policy docs):
+++++++++++++++++

"A) Each package may place a file named the same as the package into

/usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/install/
/usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/remove/

and the package must call
/usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-package-install foo

in the postinst and

/usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-package-remove foo

in the prerm."
+++++++++++++++++

What kind of file would that be? Should it be the emacsen-install file
debhelber prepares for my package? I also need to call from postinst and
prerm:

/usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-install emacs20

and

/usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-remove emacs20

respectively. Is that correct?

2)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"C) Each add-on package has the right to place files into the following
directories:

/etc/<emacs>/site-start.d
/usr/share/<emacs>/site-lisp/<package-name>"
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Is this the location the .el file that contains the implementation of an
emacs mode should go?

3) What am I missing from the emacs policy manual ?? Is this document
outdated? I noticed there's no documentation on configuring the
debian/emacsen-* files in the current Debian New Maintainer's Guide
document. Is there some other documentation on this anywhere I've not
come across yet?

Also, I was unable to find any documentation on where/how I can download
the work other package maintainers have done (.changes, .diffs) so I can
have a look at how people like to build packages, (hopefully) try to see
how other people install emacs modes, and maybe someday attempt to take
over an orphaned package. Could somebody give me a lead on this please?

Thanks,
-Kristis