Re: Problems with debconf files

Gergely Nagy <algernon@debian.org> writes:

> --pgp-sign-Multipart_Sat_Mar__9_23:24:54_2002-1
>
> >      If I install the package with dpkg -i, the debconf note is not
> > displayed.  I have DEBCONF_DEBUG set to ``developer'', but no messages
> > are output by debconf.  I do have a postinst that contains:
> >
> > #! /bin/sh
> > set -e
> > . /usr/share/debconf/confmodule
> >

> Only that?

     It is a dummy package to ease the transition from dict-web1913 to
dict-gcide.  The postinst was only added to try make debconf work from
dpkg -i.

> Can you put the sources somewhere online?

     The source package includes 56 MB of the dictionary database, and
the sources for the formatter.  I don't think it's worthwhile
uploading all of that.  I have put the contents of the ../debian
directory (without the stuff that is created when the package is
built) in /debian/home/hilliard/dict-gcide on master.

> >      The only debconf action I require is displaying a note.  Does
> > debconf wait for the user to acknowledge this, or do I have to add a
> > dummy ``boolean'' or ``select'' to make sure the user sees it?
>
> There is a note type, I think it waits for acknowledgement from the
> user. However, if the note can go into README.Debian, that would be
> better, methinks.

     The default conf file distributed with dictd includes an include
statement that reads a configuration file that is automatically
generated whenever a new dictionary is installed.  This note is only
displayed if the user has made his own conf file without the include
statement.  The note is a warning that dictd will not run until the
config file is changed.  I have had a bug report filed for not
notifying the user that his conf file won't work.

> >      I still get the lintian message:
> >
> > internal error: cannot open unpacked/debian/ directory: No such file or directory
> > internal error: collect info debfiles about package dict-gcide: 256
> > N: Skipping check of source package dict-gcide
> >
> >      Is this a lintian problem or is it caused by something in my
> > package?
>
> I can only guess, but I'd blame it on lintian >:)

     I have re-built the package several times.  If I use the -i
switch to debuild, I get that mesage from lintian.  If I use debuild
without the switch, I don't get that lintian message.

     After the last build, which didn't give that message, I ran
lintian on the .changes file and got the message:

E: dict-gcide source: build-depends-without-arch-dep

which seems strange.  It is an Architecture: all package, and does
have Build-Depends-Indep:.

Bob
--
   _