Re: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:

> I mean "hard path" as in an absolute location. That is the problem
> with RPATH; it puts absolute locations into the binaries. If the
> library moves, the program stops working.
>
> So if the program contained the full path to libc.so.6, we couldn't
> move it when libc.so.7 was released.
>
> > If I understand the above excerpt correctly, ldconfig would need to be
> > extended to know about "libc7", but then it'd work.
>
> I don't see how ldconfig enters into it in this case.

ldconfig generates ld.so.cache.  ld.so.cache is used by ld.so to know
which paths should be used.  Please note that this filtering mechanism
is crucial when RPATH isn't used, since there is only one ordering of
paths for all binaries.  (This filtering is not done on RPATH
currently.  That feature won't be necessary until libc actually
changes major version.)

Kjetil T.