Re: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 02:34:49AM +0100, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
> > If your binary contains a hard path to /lib/libc.so.6,
>
> What do you mean by a hard path?  dlopen()?  Sure, it won't work.
> Usually, /lib/ld-linux.so.2 is hard coded, libc is not.

I mean "hard path" as in an absolute location. That is the problem
with RPATH; it puts absolute locations into the binaries. If the
library moves, the program stops working.

So if the program contained the full path to libc.so.6, we couldn't
move it when libc.so.7 was released.

> If I understand the above excerpt correctly, ldconfig would need to be
> extended to know about "libc7", but then it'd work.

I don't see how ldconfig enters into it in this case.

Hamish